Sunday, August 8, 2010

OR-philia.

After some thought & experience, I’ve come to realize that the OR is the shit. No joke. Literally, there are times when I feel like I live at the hospital & that a majority of my time & energy is spent there…& I love every second of it.

Yes, it can get very frustrating at times. Overwhelming as well. Especially in my department. There are days when it’s so slow you literally become conscious of every breath you take due to boredom…& there are those extremely busy days that makes an 8 hour shift feel like 8 minutes. It’s a bipolar environment that’s for damn sure.

But for me personally, the OR is a place full of adrenaline. Ok, maybe not AS MUCH adrenaline as the ER, but it’s a good balance. I love that rush. The rush you get when you observe & witness a surgeon perform his procedure. That satisfaction you feel when you care for the patient & they become so grateful. The joy of learning more & more as each day goes by. It’s an infinite amount of knowledge the medical field is.

I’ve had my fill of the other departments, & to be honest, nothing has given me the satisfaction & thrill that the operating room has. To be able to take a fellow human being, put him/her to sleep, take a scalpel, & fix the problem is nothing short of miraculous to me.

I’m grateful to be in this department. I salute all the surgeons, anesthesiologists, RNs, & the entire OR crew. We may be overwhelmed, we may be frustrated at times, we may get on each others’ nerves…

…but at the end of the day, we are the ones that give people hope & help save lives in a kick ass department.

OR rocks.

Now off to my family party.

‘Til next time.

Deuces.

No comments:

Post a Comment