Sunday, August 8, 2010

Mini-Ode to Microbiology.

I have many pet peeves. But one in particular stands out: When guys leave the bathroom WITHOUT WASHING THEIR HANDS.

I don’t give a shit who you are or how much of a rush you’re in…WASH YOUR DAMN HANDS! It’s idiotic not to.

Do some people not realize how many germs there are everywhere, let alone a public restroom?

I don’t talk much about microbiology in this blog, but it’s just as important medically as anatomy & physiology, pathophysiology, & many more are. It’s fascinating. These organisms are so microscopic yet contain the capacity to wipeout countries…& they have. It’s mind-boggling.

I think for me, working in the OR & in a hospital let alone has made me 10x more conscious & OCD of hand washing & making sure that I minimize transmission as much as possible. I find myself washing vigorously with loads of soap on my hands every 30 minutes or so. Hey…better to be safe (& sterile) than sorry.

Yes, yes…call me dramatic. But shit people. Don’t underestimate the power of bacteria & viruses. Take that extra 15-30 seconds & wash your hands…or even cover your mouth when you sneeze/cough.

I’m not an extreme germophobe or anything…but c’mon. No need to spread the germs. These microscopic creatures should NOT be taken for granted.

‘Til next time.

Deuces.

No comments:

Post a Comment